Worst Food of the Week – Goldfish Bread

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, I FEEL LIKE I DON’T EVEN NEED A BLOG POST TO EXPLAIN THIS, that just the name of this product sums it up. Goldfish Bread? Come on.

Pepperidge Farm touts this bread as having “3g of fiber plus essential vitamins and minerals” and “No high fructose corn syrup.” Plus it lists a myriad of health benefit buzz words like “zero trans fat” and “cholesterol free.”

So with all these great health benefits, why am I labeling it as a Worst Food? I’m glad you asked.

Because it’s an overpriced luxury food that Pepperidge Farms would like us to believe is a pantry staple. Each pack contains 8 slices, which, if you are looking to make a sandwich that actually looks like a goldfish, is 4 sandwiches. Not even one week of school lunches. One pack costs around $2 – $3+ depending on where you shop. On the low end, that’s $.25 a slice, $.50 a sandwich. Whhhaaaaatttt?! Come on. Let’s save our money for true necessities (more fresh fruits and veggies, anyone?)

Because it’s just one more novelty food for your kids to nag you about. This product expands the Goldfish franchise. Kids love Goldfish crackers, and by expanding the brand to soup, bread, etc. Pepperidge Farms hopes we’ll keep buying to keep our kids happy. Ever hear of the nag factor? This is one way companies leverage it.

Because kids don’t need goldfish-shaped bread to eat lunch. Somewhere out there I know there’s a parent who is saying “Oh, but my child won’t eat a sandwich unless I make it in a shape!” Bummer. Then don’t try to get your kid to eat sandwiches. Or cut the bread into the shape of a fish. Or – did I say this? – don’t try to get your kid to eat sandwiches.

THE BOTTOM LINE: Someday, if you want to give your kid a special treat of a Goldfish-shaped sandwich, then own this purchase as a one-time treat. Otherwise, save yourself some money and save your sanity — skip the Goldfish bread.

14 comments for “Worst Food of the Week – Goldfish Bread

1. Geri
    October 13, 2011 at 8:44 am

I work at Pepperidge Farm and wanted to let you know that you got your facts wrong about our Goldfish bread. The package contains 8 sandwiches, not 4. A regular loaf of bread contains 16 slices, including the ends, which most people do not use. So in fact, the Goldfish bread contains the same amount of sandwiches as a regular loaf of bread.

2. cat
    October 13, 2011 at 10:03 am

Thank you for the correction, Geri. You’re right: I misunderstood the serving size. Because Goldfish Bread is flats, 8 flats will make 8 sandwiches.

If your kids eat whole sandwiches and you don’t need the option for a half sandwich, the cost of Goldfish Bread is on par to regular Pepperidge Farm breads.

3. melissa
    November 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I completely disagree. The bread comes in honey wheat and whole wheat, and it is fun. I say anything that gets kids eating a healthy alternative to white bread is great. It might be a novelty and they will outgrow it but by then they will have a taste for wheat breads and that is a healthy habit you can’t put a price on. Plus it is fun to surprise kids with something special in their lunch once in a while. I say it is fun and adorable and makes moms job easier.

4. Nona Robinson
    February 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Obviously you do not have a picky eater toddler in your household. When I saw the commercial this morning, my heart jumped! Maybe I can get her to eat this! And I loved the commercial…she doesn’t like noisy car washes, either, and it gave me great ideas on how to make it fun. Go eat Roman Meal.

5. cat
    February 20, 2012 at 5:09 pm

You’re right that I wouldn’t call my kids picky, although they do have specific likes and dislikes. For example, they will only eat about 2 kinds of bread, and one of those kinds is homemade. Sheesh!

I stand by my review of this bread, however. In the end, buying fancy bread to convince my kid to eat a sandwich would make my life more difficult than not trying to get my kid to eat a sandwich. My older son didn’t eat sandwiches until he was 7, and certainly not as a toddler. For us, that was okay.

My opinion is that once kids think they’re supposed to eat special kid food, they have a harder time eating just plain food. Then we, as parents, have more meals to make and we spend more money.

6. jean
    February 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I think there is a very important word that’s being forgotten; “Fun.” That’s all this bread is and that’s all it needs to be. Five or fifty-five, you should be able to enjoy the little things in life. I know I will.

7. cat
    March 5, 2012 at 9:21 am

Jean – I agree! That’s why I say in “the bottom line” that Goldfish bread is good for a treat.

8. brista
    March 26, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I feel like most of the comments are written by Pepperidge Farms. I mean, seriously? “Obviously you do not have a picky eater toddler in your household. When I saw the commercial this morning, my heart jumped! Maybe I can get her to eat this! And I loved the commercial! she doesn’t like noisy car washes, either, and it gave me great ideas on how to make it fun. Go eat Roman Meal.” You have got to be kidding me. A normal parent who just happens to be reading a blog does NOT write like that.

Anyway, I agree that kids shouldn’t get in the habit of only eating special “kid” food! I saw this bread in the store and thought it was cute. I would never buy it, though. There’s nothing special nutritionally, it’s expensive, and again – kids don’t need expensive “kid friendly” foods.

9. April 4, 2012 at 6:19 am

Wow, I was so happy to see these breads. Although I am not sure if the price will stand in our way, but we are going on a field trip to the tide pool beach exploration and we will be making tuna sandwiches on these wonderful breads. The cost of bread is so expensive in Hawai’i, I don’t think the price will stand in the way. But I will say that this is a very cute idea and helps to make eating healthy fun. Teaching children to eat healthy is important and sometimes being fun has to be part of the equation. This is coming from a camp director who volunteers all year to provide bare necessities to these children, and we are adding them to our menu.

10. beatris enciso
    May 17, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I can’t find the goldfish bread anywhere! I live in Santa Rosa, Ca. I went to Safeway, G&G Market, Lucky’s, Whole Foods and Raley’s. Please help me find this product.

11. cat
    May 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Try your local Target or Walmart.

12. Don
    May 21, 2012 at 2:39 pm

It’s all about balance. I don’t need my Ben & Jerry’s either, but once in awhile it’s a fun and tasty indulgence. It should, however, only be used for fish sandwiches.

13. Josh S.
    May 24, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I work in the bread mfg. industry. Goldfish breads are not available on the west coast as Peperidge farm bread bakeries are only on the east coast. Thus only select varieties which can be licensed to outside producers (i.e. doesn’t require special equipment purchses) or those that can be shipped without spoilage and over margin cost are available here.

14. Josh S.
    May 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Check the Peperidge Facebook page for updates or “like” them so you are notified if they make a move to produce in your area.

Comments are closed.